1-Header1-Header-1-11-Header-1-21-Header-1-31-Header-1-41-Header-1-51-Header-1-61-Header-1-71-Header-1-81-Header-1-9

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Easy Crochet Ribbed Scarf

Easy Crochet Ribbed Scarf


This past week I finished up a quick little crochet project. I needed some new scenery in my crochet projects and I wanted to make my uncle something nice and cozy. He lives up north so I'm sure he can still use it for a couple weeks.

Crochet Ribbed Scarf

Every time I make a scarf length wise I swear to myself that it's the last time. The rows just take so long and I always like a tad of instant gratification. My uncle is well over six feet tall so I had to make the scarf extra long. With the ribbed look however, it kind of gives the scarf a knit look.

Crochet Ribbed Scarf

The yarn I used is kind of...eh. When I was picking out yarns I was going for three things: a color that was somewhat manly-ish, not super expensive, and not thin. (Remember, this was supposed to be a quick project!) This is terrible, but I can't remember exactly what yarn it was. After looking, I'm pretty sure it was Wool-Ease Thick & Quick in Taupe. It doesn't feel too terrible to the touch, but close up it looks kind of fuzzy and ick. Like it's a scarf you've had around a while and loved it already. This issue with that, however, is that it's brand new. Maybe it doesn't bother some people, but it bothers me a bit.

Crochet Ribbed Scarf

Sorry for the lack of action pics. I've been waiting to send out this scarf because I really wanted to take pictures first and generally the only time I have to sit and take pictures is late after Luna goes to bed. I've worked all day (therefore I look like poo) and I decided I wouldn't force Mr. 246 into taking late night portraits on a work night so there you have it. You get the general idea, though. You all know what a scarf looks like.

Crochet Ribbed Scarf
Alright, let's do some stats:

Easy Ribbed Crochet Scarf
  • Yarn: Two skeins of Wool-Ease Thick & Quick in Taupe
  • Hook Size: My trusty 5.0 mm Clover crochet hook (I have the whole set of Clovers and they're so nice! My hands don't get nearly as crampy. Special thanks to my MIL!)
  • Time: 2-4 nights of TV watching (the last couple episodes of Firefly :( I'm late to jump on the bandwagon but believe me, I'm now just as outraged that they would cancel such an awesome show.)
  • Size: A little over six and a half feet long. 6-7 inches wide.
  • Fun: 6/10. Repetitive, very plan. I do like the end look of the ribs and also that I only went through the back loop only on the foundation chain. I hate crocheting out of the foundation chain and on such a long foundation I was glad not to be too fiddly about it. 
  • Pattern (ish): Crochet a chain as long as you want your scarf. (A good rule of thumb for a winter scarf is to make it as long as the wearer is tall.) Single crochet along foundation chain working in back loop only. Chain 2, turn, double crochet along length in back loop only. Chain 1, turn, single crochet along length in back loop only. Repeat rows single crochet row, then double crochet row until your scarf is as wide as you like it or until you run out of yarn. Tie off. Weave/sew in ends.
  • Help: Click here for a tutorial video on chain stitch, single crochet, double crochet. Click here for a tutorial video of working through the back loop only. Also, feel free to comment or email me if you have any questions. Especially about the "pattern." I realized it's not really a pattern. One day I'll get the hang of writing them up properly.
Anyone else have new crochet in your life? What've you been making?

- Mrs. 246 

No comments:

Post a Comment